The historic town of Champawat is situated in a valley of thick forests, 76 kms from Tanakpur and the same distance from Pithoragarh. Soam Chandra was the first Chand ruler who founded the capital here around 953 AD. He had reportedly come from some southern region and after marrying “ Sheera” the daughter of a hill chief, he became the king of this area. Later in 1560 the then king Bhishma Chand decided to shift the capital to a more central place Almora. During the time of his successor Balo Kalyan Chand, Almora had become the capital. The Chand rulers of Champawat patronised temple architecture during their rule and the temples of Baleshwar and Ratneshwar still stand testimony to it. A third temple at Nagnath also belongs to that age. Today Champawat is a pleasant holiday resort with lots of things to see around. Accommodation to suit all pockets is available along with some Govt. guest houses.
|Few famous places are shown below:|
|The Char Dhams of Uttarakhand|
|Other related articles / news are listed below|