Some 54 km from Pithoragarh, not on route to Badrinath, but on route to Kailash Man Sarovar, is the ancient town of Askot from where the Chand rulers ruled the kingdom of Kumaon. For some time the Gorkhas subjugated the Chands, but finally they were pushed out in 1815 when it came under British rule. Askot is supposed to be known for a wild life sanctuary for the conservation of Musk Deer, although nobody has reportedly ever seen one. Area is rich for mineral deposits.
At 48 km from Askot on the bank of Kali Ganga is the township of Dharchula which is the transit station for yatra to Kailash. Kali Ganga is the border line between India and Nepal and a suspension bridge connects Dharchula to Nepal’s Darchula.
|Few famous places are shown below:|
|The Char Dhams of Uttarakhand|
|Other related articles / news are listed below|