25 km from Dogadda and 41 km from Kotdwara is the beautiful cantonment town called Lansdowne. From here Pauri is still 81km ahead. Attracted by the excellent climate and rich green forests, of Kalon Danda (Black mountain) Lord Roberts, the Commander in chief of Indian army decided to establish the head quarters of Garhwal Rifles here in 1887 and named this place as Lansdowne after the then Vice Roy of India. Later the giant size centenary gate bearing the inscription 1887 was built to commemorate the founding of Garhwal Rifles, in that year. Most of the army areas are restricted to visitors, but an important landmark of the cantonment board known as Darwan Singh Sangrahalaya is at times kept open for the tourists. The museum has been named after the first Indian recipient of Victoria Cross, Naik Darwan Singh of 1st Garhwal regiment. Entry to this museum is allowed on a nominal fee. The township is spread over the hill tops at a height of 1706 mtrs. The Himalayan peaks can be seen from some vantage points including the Tiffin Top and the Snow View point.
The cantonment board has transformed Lansdowne into a nice clean place to live but not much of private constructions could come up as a result of which the town could not grow into a tourist destination. Despite that there are a few comfortable places to stay such as the tourist bungalow, other government guest houses and some private guest houses.
The Durga temple is thronged by devotees in the morning and evenings. Nearby there are picnic spots for outings.
|Few famous places are shown below:|
|The Char Dhams of Uttarakhand|
|Other related articles / news are listed below|